Saturday, January 20, 2007

The times they are a-changin' . . .

There were so many better photos to choose from today but this one is indicative of times to come. My one respite in suburbia is showing signs of construction to come. I am not happy. In fact I was pretty destructive in pulling out the stakes with which they marked my running trail.

Oh Beautiful for smoggy skies, insecticided grain,
For strip-mined mountain's majesty above the asphalt plain.
America, America, man sheds his waste on thee,
And hides the pines with billboard signs, from sea to oily sea.
~ George Carlin


8 comments:

RedGypsie said...

Oy! That song....sad but true. Did you really pull up the stakes??? (evil grin emoticon needed!)

Dalissa 365 said...

I am so sorry. I've taken a few construction photos myself but haven't posted any yet. I can't stand it. Farms being sold left and right and developed into dull mcMansions. It makes me sick. Beauty going down the tubes left and right. :(

Colleen said...

Yep, the asphalt plain is the American way. Ugh. You have my sympathies.

Sandie said...

We are on 7 acres and next door had 7 acres, but the sold it last year to a developer who is putting in 48 patio homes! So instead of horses and pretty trees, I have had to look at and wake up to construction since September! They have even knocked down 4 of our huge old trees with their equipment and have no plans of replacing them! I keep praying for a way to buy the undeveloped 23 acres behind me before it is too late.

Katrina said...

Waaaaaaaaaaa!

Dancingirl said...

Sorry, Nikkie. I empathize. They're widening the highway that goes up to the town we used to live in and it's ruining the scenery! My dh moans about it everytime we travel it.

Dancingirl said...

Oops. I do know how to spell your name! Guess I was typing too fast!

Unknown said...

That's one thing I like about Ohio - less development, though our area is fast becoming a shopping center. One of my photos is going to be the empty lot where IKEA will be built so I can have a before and after photo. I empathize - esp. a running path!