Friday, November 16, 2007

Love of Reading

As I subbed today for a class of middle schoolers who have some learning problems I had to listen to them read parts in a play. Each one struggled not only with simple words but with correct phrasing as well. I saw in every one of them how much they seemed to despise reading and knew why. How can you love something that is so difficult. How can you enjoy something when you can't understand it. I walked away hurting for each of them. How much I know they will miss out on because of their struggle and wishing I could do more. Wishing they would someday have the joy in reading that I do, but realizing that it will forever be a struggle for them and after high school I doubt they will pick up a single book. What a loss.

Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.
~ Frederick Douglass

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a great stack with two of my faves in there: RWAV and TKAM... add to that Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and we may as well be sisters.

Dalissa McEwen Reeder said...

AH, that makes me sad.