Sunday, September 21, 2008

Autumnal Equinox

I was trying to figure out the best way to photograph autumn since in this area everything is still green and will probably stay that way for a couple of months. I hope it isn't too morbid, but one of the first things I thought of was a cemetery. I thought if spring is a symbol of re-birth and new things coming, then fall must be a symbol of things dying.

I love cemeteries - so peaceful and calm. I like wandering around wondering about the stories of all the people laid to rest there. I came across a very small one that said "Our Little Sweetheart". A little girl born in 1901 and died in 1904. I looked around for relatives thinking maybe her parents were buried there as well, but I didn't see any. I found a husband and wife buried next to each other. That in itself was not unusual, but the husband had died about 45 years before the wife did. On her tomb was engraved "loving wife of Burt". She had never remarried although she must have been very young when he died. Such fascinating stories.





Autumn wins you best by this its mute
Appeal to sympathy for its decay.
~ Robert Browning

1 comment:

Dirkus said...

They are fascinating-cemetaries that is. Great shots from it.